Thursday, January 20, 2011

What was I Listening to?

So, I created a late '80s early 90's hair band Pandora station (love technology). Now I can listen to the music I grew up with any time I want. No more tapes. No more waiting. I am shocked and aghast at the lyrics of those songs. I was barely into my teens when my friends and I screamed along at the top of our lungs. It never occurred to me at the time to really listen to what these hair bands were singing about. Now, I'm much older and finally got around to really listen. Whoa!!! Warrant's "Cherry Pie", Bulletboys' "Smooth Up" (in ya), and Winger's "17"? Don't need to be a genius to know what those songs were about.

My mom didn't speak much English then, and she worked 10+ hours days to put food on the table. Screening what I was listening to probably wasn't high on her priority list.

Now, I'm the mom of a little girl, I will have to assume the role of censor. Granted, my little girl is only 2. Her song list consists of Wheels on the Bus, Twinkle Twinkle, and ABC. But, it won't be long until she graduates to something a bit more mature. Am I prepared? What will I do? What will I say?

[ad#adsense-1]

No comments:

Post a Comment