Friday, January 7, 2011

Saturday Morning Cartoons

I'm way past that age.  I would rather sleep in on Saturday mornings than get up to watch cartoons.  Nowadays, I don't really have a choice.  The kiddo wakes up, I get up.  But, when I look at her, I ponder, will she ever have that anticipation every Saturday morning?  I remember when I was a kid, Saturday morning was a snow day every week.  1 - No school, 2 - cartoons.

I still remember the Smurfs are from 9-10, Pac Man, Snorks, Scooby Doo, Bugs Bunny, and whatever the 5 network channels had to offer.  By 12 noon, cartoons are done and it's time to get back to the real world.  And the anticipation and gratification will begin again after the last class on Friday afternoon.  People in my age group still fondly talk about their Saturday Morning Cartoons experiences.

My little girl probably never will.  Now, she gets all her cartoon fix from her iPhone/Youtube anytime, any day.  There's no waiting for NBC to decide to put the Smurfs on at 9AM on Saturday.  There's no sitting through commercials.  Or knowing that at 12 noon, there will be no more cartoons.  She also will not sit around the kitchen table with other 30-something friends reminiscing about those many hours vegging in front of the TV with only 5 channels that you have to get off the floor to change.

Other things that she won't reminisce about:

  • 1st album (those big round plastic things) she bought with her own money

  • 1st tape she bought and played in the car

  • 1st CD she got (CD was the awesomest thing, until iPod, iPhone, mp3, etc.)


She might reminisce with her friends about:

  • The 1st silicon chip she bought and embedded into herself for easy communication.

  • The 1st true immersive hologram experience (a real Holodeck)




[ad#adsense-1]

No comments:

Post a Comment