Monday, September 12, 2011

Across Many Mountains: A Tibetan Family's Epic Journey from Oppression to Freedom

Across Many Mountains: A Tibetan Family's Epic Journey from Oppression to FreedomAcross Many Mountains: A Tibetan Family's Epic Journey from Oppression to Freedom by Yangzom Brauen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Across Many Mountains is enlightening. I was educated about part of the world that was so close to where I came from yet I had no clue about the people and their tragedies. My caricatures of a Tibetan monk, a Tibetan nun, a Tibetan family were shattered after reading this book. The strong female characters were awe-inspiring. Just the thought of taking my little girl across the world's highest mountain range makes my heart ache. And it makes me think if I'm even strong enough of a woman or mother to do it. But, Kunsang, the grandmother, the matriarch, did just that.
This is a book that people in the West should read to learn about the country on top of the world. It is definitely a book for people of the East to learn about how dictatorship and propaganda can destroy a culture and a people.



[ad#adsense-1]

No comments:

Post a Comment