Friday, January 14, 2011

Marketer Marketed

Gillette, kudos to you!  Yes, I remember from grad school marketing class, Gillette is one of the kings of marketing. But, i still give props when it’s deserved.I’m one of those women who needs to use razors but the last time I bought new ones for myself was probably in the early 2000. Not that I don’t need new ones more often, my stubbly legs would attest to that fact that I should change the near rusted razors more often. But I also know that Schick and Gillette make their money from selling the razor handles cheap and charging gazillion for the razors. Not buying new ones is my misguided way of “sticking it to the Man”.

I’ve been using Schicks’ brand razor that I think has been discontinued. It’s the one with tiny wires over the blades so that klutzes like me don’t slice our legs up and bleed to death. But, about a month ago, I ordered something from drugstore.com, and it came with a free Gillette Venus Breeze. Its one of those 2 in one things. The shave lotion is built into the razor itself.  No fuss no muss.  After using it for a month, the lotion part is gone and the blade is pretty dull.   Instead of going back to my old trusty rusty Schick, i went in search for replacement cartridges for the Breeze.  And I somewhat willingly paid $11 for a pack of 4 cartridges.  Gillette, you got me.  Too bad I’m not going to be in your high-revenue generating category of consumer.




[ad#adsense-1]

No comments:

Post a Comment