Monday, April 25, 2011

Shanghai Girls

Shanghai GirlsShanghai Girls by Lisa See

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a book that solidifies the reason I enjoy historical fictions. I learn about events that are normally not written or discussed in the typical history classes. And the lessons are surrounded by characters that I truly cared about. Lisa See painted beautiful pictures of Shanghai pre-WWII and the stark reality of what Chinese-Americans encountered when arriving in a new promising country (Gold Mountain).

The story reminded me of Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club because the setting shares the similar time period in Chinese history. The main characters are women who have to overcome adversity. But, Lisa See's book has unique enough storyline to make it a worthwhile read.


[ad#adsense-1]

No comments:

Post a Comment