Monday, February 14, 2011

Say No to Valentine!

It's that time of the year.  Everywhere I turn, I see red and pink.  Hallmark telling me to send a card.  Party Stores tell to through a party.  Dunkin' Donuts is hawking pink heart-shaped fried fat doughs

The Mister is not allowed to buy anything for Valentines Day.  The little one is still too young to know the difference between one day to another.  So I don't have to worry about her.

There are many many blogs and articles talking about why a specific day set apart for love is a dangerous and insincere.  Me?  I look at it from the point of a amature economist or a frugal mom (same difference).

Roses - those things cost too much on normal days.  On this commercial driven day, they cost double to triple the price.  It's not worth it.  There's no added value from one day to another.

Chocolates - I love chocolates, I love chocolates that are market-priced on a normal transparent market.  Not in a bubble market created by bunch of forgetful husbands/boyfriends who think they need to make up for not appreciating their wives/girlfriends on the 364 days of the year.

Jewerly - Don't get me started on the whole scam that is diamond.  I don't see the point of these decorative baubles.  They don't keep me warm.  They don't fill my empty stomach.  They don't put the roof over my head.  Don't need them.

If we are going to spend money on stuff.  I want those stuff to have value or create value.  Books, educational toys, or even simply, save the money for something that truely has value down the line.

[ad#adsense-1]

No comments:

Post a Comment