Sunday, February 3, 2008

Mile High Adjustment

Our west-coast snowboarding trip was Breckenridge, CO. The last time I was near the Mile High City and its mountains were in early 2002. My friends and I drove there from NYC. I think the slow adjustment to the high altitude made my transition much easier to handle. This time, we flew there from NY. Denver, at about a mile above sea-level wasn't so bad. I didn't feel any adverse affect during the short period of time from landing, picking up the rental car, and driving out of the city limits.

However, when we reached Breckenridge, the thin air hit me. Breckenridge is 9,600 feet above sea level. That's almost 2 miles above sea level. The first 12 hours in Breckenridge was us wheezing after easy activities, such as walking to dinner.

The Village Hotel at Breckenridge was definitely prepared for sea-level-dwellers like us. They had a humidifier in the hotel. We had that thing running the whole time. When we left, the room had the humidity level of a swamp. More comfortable for us than the "brisk" mountain air.

[ad#amazon-1]

No comments:

Post a Comment