Monday, February 18, 2008

10 Hours of Upgrade

On around Feb. 14, my 1-year old Gateway laptop running Microsoft Vista started to inform me that there are new updates for me to install. Being the anal computer user that I am, I always make sure that I have the latest updates and patches. So, I allow the computer to auto-update whatever it asked. For 3 days, I rebooted every time the computer asked. When I checked the update log on 2/17, I saw that none of the updates have been installed.

Reinstalling the 11 updates and restarting several times ended the same failure. All the updates failed. After couple trial and errors, I found that if I install the updates one at a time and restarting after every update, the update install fine. However, after each update, the system configures at shutdown and startup. So, every single update requires at least 15 minutes. One of the patch update took 3 hours. During the system configuration at startup, Vista said "System Configuring, Do Not Turn off Your Computer". So, I stared at it for about 30 minutes. Nothing happened. After the first 30 minutes, I walked away, and came back to check the progress. Nothing changed. I wanted to turn off the computer, but the big warning sign warned me not to.

So, I didn't. 3 hours later, it finally finished configuring. I still have 10 updates to go. Finally, after about 10 hours, it was done.

I can't believe Vista takes so long to update. I don't remember ever having so much trouble in the past with XP and Windows 2000. No wonder Vista is considered a failure. What a waste of my Sunday.

[ad#amazon-1]

1 comment: